How Do I Get A Wedding Loan
You can get an estimate or pre-qualification for a loan online with many lenders who will only use a soft credit check. Once you find the loan that offers the best rate, you can usually apply online. Once approved, you will have access to the money within one day to start making your wedding-related purchases. Information required to get a wedding loan should include how much you want to borrow, your personal information , education level , and your income information. Some lenders may ask about your savings and investments.
Advantages To Taking Out A Wedding Loan
- Fixed repayment terms Personal loans are typically installment loans, which allow you to borrow a set amount of money to pay back over a fixed period of time.
- Lots of lender options Many different financial institutions including banks, credit unions and online lenders offer wedding loans in the form of personal loans. So you should have a number of options to compare to get the best rate for you. Make sure to compare interest rates, fees and loan terms from several lenders. Finally, look for a loan with no prepayment penalty, so you have the option to repay the loan early with no additional fee.
- Select the amount you want to borrow You may have some flexibility in how much money you can borrow when you first apply. While loan amounts vary by lender, offers can range from $1,500 to $100,000. Just keep in mind that the loan amount you qualify for can depend on many factors, including your credit.
- Potentially lower interest rates Depending on your credit, you might qualify for a lower interest rate on your loan than youd pay on a credit card. In February 2020, the average interest rate on a 24-month personal loan from a commercial bank was 9.46%, compared to an average APR of about 14.75% for credit cards, according to Federal Reserve data.
Do Banks Give Loans For Weddings
Yes, some banks offer personal loans that can be used for weddings. However, keep in mind that banks might have more stringent requirements compared to other types of lenders.
Additionally, some major banks such as Bank of America, Capital One, and Chase dont provide personal loans.
Check Out: Everything You Need to Know About Financing an Engagement Ring
Don’t Miss: Mills Fleet Farm Wedding Registry
How We Chose The Best Wedding Loans
To find the best wedding loans we researched over a dozen providers and evaluated whether they used soft or hard credit checks, fees charged, interest rates, APRs, loan terms, and payment options.
We also looked at each lenders reputation by referencing the J.D. Power 2020 U.S. Consumer Lending Satisfaction Study , researched online reviews, and searched for customer complaints and comments on various sites, including Trustpilot.
You May Be Required To Put Up Collateral
If your credit is good generally, if your FICO score is higher than 660 to 680 you probably wont be asked to put up collateral to secure your wedding loan. If your credit score is lower, you may need to put up the title to your car or another asset valuable enough to secure your loan. Your unsecured loan options, if any exist, will likely feature high interest rates, short terms, and high origination fees beyond what youre willing or able to accept.
Beyond credit damage, secured loan delinquency presents a serious risk: the loss of the asset that secures the loan. Think carefully before proceeding.
You May Like: Randy Fenoli Michael Landry
Can You Take Out A Loan For A Wedding
If you’re engaged and in the process of planning your big day, you may be concerned about how you’re going to pay for everything. After all, weddings can get expensive very quickly. Fortunately, you can take out a loan to help pay for your wedding. Let’s explore whether this is a good idea and what steps you’ll need to take if you choose to go this route.
Why Choose Sainsburys Bank For A Wedding Loan
- 2.8% APR representative for Nectar members, when you borrow £7,500 – £25,000 for 37-60 months
- You can pay back your loan over 1-5 years with manageable, fixed monthly instalments
- You can borrow between £1,000 – £40,000 if youre a Nectar member, non-Nectar members can borrow up to £25,000
- No application or arrangement fee
- You could get your money in as little as 2 hours, or the next business day, once youve been accepted
- Our loan application is quick and easy to complete, you can sign your agreement online, and upload any documents we might need
Recommended Reading: How To Make Your Own Wedding Bouquet With Fake Flowers
Calculate Your Big Day Interest Payments
Use our calculator to figure out the interest you could pay so you know if a bank loan for your wedding is the right choice for you and your partner.
In just a few clicks, our calculator will work out what your interest rate could be and how likely you are to be accepted without harming your credit score.
Find out what your monthly payments could be and how much youll repay in total. Hopefully, this could help you budget for your wedding and your future as a couple.
All quotations given are for illustrative purposes only.
Applying for a joint loan application? Please note, your application may take longer to process.
The Marriage Loan: Why Use A Personal Loan To Fund A Wedding
Weddings come once-in-a-lifetime and you want it to be perfect in every way. A personal loan makes a dream wedding possible. Get a complete peace of mind about finances for your big day with a marriage loan. Here is why we recommend opting for a personal loan for marriage.
To know more about pre-approved loans, click here.* Terms & conditions apply. Loan disbursal at sole discretion of HDFC Bank Ltd.
Recommended Reading: When To Send Save The Dates And Wedding Invitations
What Are Other Ways To Cover Wedding Costs
Using an Online Personal Loan Company to Pay for the Wedding
A ton of Internet loan companies have sprung up over the past few years, and most offer crowd-sourced loans. Here’s how it works: Online investors front money for you once you’ve been approved by the company in much the same way you’d be approved by a bank. Then you pay them back, including interest, in the same way you would a bank. A good site for online wedding loans is Upstart. Sites like Upstart will have you safely fill in your information, then bring up the types of loans that you qualify for. “Unless you can pay off the monthly balance immediately, credit cards are not a great option for long term debt,” says Jungwon Byun, head of growth at Upstart. “The Upstart platform is smart we use education and employment in addition to credit history to determine the APR. The entire process is also online and very simple, making it a fast and easy way to borrow.” If you’re interested, you can move forward with the application process for your wedding loan. If not, just stop there
Taking Out a Home Equity Line of Credit to Pay for the Wedding
Using a Credit Card to Pay for the Wedding
That said, if you have the cash to pay for your wedding, a credit card can be a good option. Here’s why: Using credit can protect your money from fraud and earn you points for flights and even hotels . Just try not to pay for wedding things with money you don’t have yet, and you’ll be fine
How A Wedding Loan Works
When you apply for a loan to fund your wedding, there are a few steps youll have to complete before the cash arrives in your bank account.
Youll need to tell the lender about yourself and give details about your current income . Youll also usually need to give details about any regular outgoings, so the lender can calculate if youll be able to pay the loan back and how long this might take.
As you are applying for a personal loan, a lender will also look at your credit score to decide whether to lend you the money. This check leaves a mark on your credit score, even if the loan isnt accepted, so its well worth using a free eligibility checker first. These will give you an idea of what loans you could be accepted for, without affecting your record.
Read Also: Randy Fenoli Partner Michael Landry
Wedding Expenses You Can Cover With A Personal Loan
Wondering what expenses you would have to cover while planning a wedding? The final cost depends on several factors, including the following:
Venue: The venue is one of the costliest expenses you have to make while planning a wedding. There are multiple palaces, gardens, hotels, banquet halls, and other venues that can make up a major part of your wedding cost.
Duration: Ideally, an Indian wedding lasts for around 3 days. If you want a more extensive celebration spread across several days, the cost will increase accordingly. The more days you celebrate, the more budget you will have to assign.
Guest List: Typically, only close friends and family members are invited to a wedding. However, the more guests arrive at your wedding, the more costs you will have to bear.
Other factors that may affect your wedding budget include catering, decorations, outfits, jewellery, photographers, makeup artist, and others. Since the budget can go higher than expected, its better to be safe and apply for a personal loan for wedding and cover your wedding expenses without worrying about the finances.
Lendingpoint: Good For Borrowers With Low Income Or Credit Scores
LendingPoint offers personal loans of up to $36,500 to borrowers in 48 states, with a minimum income requirement of just $20,000 and a near-prime credit score requirement.
- Loan amounts: $2,000 to $36,500
- Repayment terms: Two to five years
See your personal loan rate options on Credible with no effect on your credit score.
You May Like: Wedding Under 5k
Ask Your Guests To Pitch In
Not everyone needs or wants to receive gifts for their wedding. Instead of loading up your wedding registry with brand-name kitchen gadgets and delicate china youll only use a few times a year, consider asking your guests to help cover the wedding expenses.
Set up a cash registry, such as Honeyfund or The Knot Cash Fund. If you dont want your wedding to result in more clutter, you can tactfully avoid getting gifts you dont want by setting up a registry and adding a small note on your wedding website instead. But at the end of the day, the gift-giver is going to decide what they want to give you.
Saving For Your Wedding And Paying Out Of Pocket
While your wedding may be the most magical day of your life, its ultimately just that a day. Sure, you may want the donut bar and fondue fountain at your reception. But ask yourself, is having everything you want worth entering your new marriage in debt? If it is, that is perfectly valid. But if the thought of paying for your wedding for years to come fills you with anxiety, it may be beneficial to critically look at your budget and make strategic cuts.
One way to pay for your wedding out of pocket is keeping a strict and predetermined budget. Couples may also consider extending their engagement to give themselves more time to save money for their big day.
Regardless of how you choose to finance your wedding, making an informed decision about how you want to pay for your expenses and sticking to a budget will help to ensure that you enter a new chapter of your life free from the stress of overwhelming debt.
The information about the Wells Fargo Cash Wise Visa® card has been collected independently by Bankrate.com. The card details have not been reviewed or approved by the card issuer.
Read Also: What Goes First Engagement Or Wedding Ring
Best For Excellent Credit: Regions Bank
Why Regions Bank stands out: Regions Bank offers low interest rates on unsecured personal loans for borrowers who have built up a long credit history and have excellent credit.
- Check your rates If youre an existing Regions Bank customer, you can check your potential rates online before applying.
- Rate discounts You may qualify for a rate discount of 0.25% to 0.5% if you set up autopay from a Regions Bank checking account.
- Loan limits vary The minimum you can borrow is $2,000, but the maximum you can borrow with Regions Bank depends on how you apply. If you apply by phone or at a branch, you may be able to borrow up to $50,000, but online applications are capped at just $30,000.
- Short and long loan terms Loan terms range from 12 months to 60 months, but loan term options will vary depending on how much you borrow.
Read our full review of Regions Bank loans to learn more.
Cons Of Wedding Loans
Wedding loans also have some drawbacks youll want to consider.
- Itll cost you. Personal loan lenders charge interest on the borrowed amount. Depending on your credit, this can cost you quite a bit. And if you miss a payment, you could be on the hook for late fees.
- Youre starting your life together in debt. When it comes to marital stressors, finances are often at the top of the list. If you and your partner take out a wedding loan, youll be starting your life together in debt, which can cause additional stress.
- Your budget will be affected. Unless you pay off your wedding loan ahead of schedule, the monthly payment could affect your budget for years. Wedding loan payments may take away from other shared goals you and your new spouse have, such as saving for the down payment on a new home or contributing to your retirement funds.
Read Also: How To Make A Wedding Bouquet With Fake Flowers
Do Bad Credit Wedding Loans Make Sense For You
There are plenty of situations where a bad credit wedding loan can make sense. If you dont have rich parents covering the entire cost, you may have no choice but to take out a loan.
You may have a wedding savings fund, but as you start planning, you start to realize its going to come up short. You can supplement your funds with a loan.
Or, maybe your only other option is a credit card, and having that open limit scares you. In this instance, bad credit wedding loans make sense because they are a fixed line of credit, helping you stay within your budget.
Oftentimes, vendors and venues will require a deposit way in advance of the event. If you dont have the funds quite yet, or dont want to put your own money down, a wedding loan makes sense.