What Is Excluded From Wedding Insurance
- Changes of Heart: Most wedding policies will not cover the groom or bride if either gets cold feet and decides not to get married. Most cancellation policies do not even offer this type of coverage, and those that do only make it available as an add-on.
- Foreseeable/Known Circumstances: Policies will not generally cover you for any losses deriving from circumstances that are either under your control or that could have been easily prevented or foreseen. An example might be not covering the cost of a replacement for the vintage car a friend promised to lend but then failed to honor the promise.
- Jewelry: Any losses related to jewelry other than the wedding bands usually wont be covered by your policy.
- Theft of gifts: Standard wedding insurance doesnt cover the theft of wedding gifts, including cash, at the reception or other wedding events.
What Are The Typical Wedding Liabilities And Risks
While we’ve mentioned some of the perils wedding insurance can protect against, there are plenty more situations where wedding insurance could save the dayand your financial investment. While each policy lists its own included perils and exclusions, here are some typical wedding liabilities and risks you should plan for:
- Issues with wedding vendors, including financial insolvency
- Injury or illness before the event
- Extreme weather
- Property damage during the event
- Lost and stolen gifts
- Liquor liability to protect against alcohol-related accidents and injuries
- Loss of deposits
- Food poisoning at the event
- Vendor no-shows
- Job loss
Some examples of common wedding mishaps include:
- The wedding venue becomes uninhabitable due to smoke damage from a wildfire a few days before your event.
- Your mother has a heart attack the night before your wedding.
- Your wedding DJ makes a scheduling mistake and doesn’t show up for your event.
- An elderly guest trips over wedding decor at the event and sues you for medical expenses.
- Your ringbearer loses your wedding ring before the ceremony, and you never find it.
Interestingly, WedSafe offers some information on the top claims they paid out in 2019. These include:
Already Insured Covid Coverage Is Questionable
Wedding insurance aims to provide peace of mind, but unfortunately it largely isnt doing that job now as far as claims related to the pandemic. The reason lies in two clauses common in wedding insurance policies.
The first is one that absolves insurers of covering claims due to pandemics and viruses. That stipulation has long been a standard exclusion from wedding insurance policies, according to Gerald Hemphill, president of the GFH Insurance Agency in Richmond, Va.
If you signed after the pandemic began, your odds of being covered could have been further reduced by another policy clause. This one limits or eliminates claims to threats that are considered to be foreseeable, including a pandemic thats already underway. Think of it like a hurricane, says Leah Weinberg, the owner and creative director of Color Pop Events in New York. If a hurricane was predicted for the weekend of your wedding, you couldn’t go out and insure yourself against it as it bore down on your event site. As she points out, cancellation insurance is meant to cover unknown causes, not something you know is going to happen.
As a rule, in his experience, the wedding-insurance policy itself can also move to the new date with no additional charges, provided the scope or cost of the event hasnt grown. A customer service representative with Travelers Insurance confirmed that her company has been accommodating many couples in this fashion as their wedding dates have changed due to coronavirus.
Read Also: Nj Officiant
Can We Still Buy Wedding Insurance During Covid
You’re probably wondering if it’s even possible to get wedding insurance at the moment. Many insurance providers stopped accepting new policies during lockdown as they dealt with the fallout from postponed weddings and, for some providers, this policy is still ongoing.
John Lewis and Wedding Plan are two big wedding insurers who are not taking on new clients at the moment. They both hope to restart soon, but at present, there is no set date.
However, there are still companies that are offering wedding insurance so don’t be disheartened!
Mark Brown of Wedinsure says, “We have been issuing new wedding insurance policies since October 2020. You can purchase a policy to cover weddings taking place up to 24 moths from the date of purchase.” This means weddings to the end of 2023 are currently covered.
You’ll need to do some research, but providers like Wedinsure definitely are offering wedding insurance.
Best Wedding Insurance Customer Service: Eventhelper
Apply for a free quote online
Solid customer service reputation
Tailor your policy to your needs
Inexpensive plans are for basic weddings, and prices go up from there
May not offer enough coverage for very expensive weddings
This company lets you buy wedding and event liability insurance, wedding cancellation insurance, and other specialized coverage for damage or theft.
Insuring your wedding can cost as little as $66 for minimal coverage, and you can personalize your coverage inclusions to ensure your policy meets your needs. However, you should note that the price of your policy will climb based on the value of the wedding you want to insure and any add-ons you want your policy to cover. You can also get a quote for EventHelper by filling out an online form.
As a side note, you should be aware that you can purchase insurance directly through EventHelper, which is backed by Evanston Insurance and Lloyd’s of London. Either way, coverage limits for your policy will vary, as will the total cost, depending on the types of coverage you choose to purchase. However, EventHelper does not offer more than $4 million in aggregate coverage.
Don’t Miss: What To Give Your Parents On Your Wedding Day
Alternatives To Wedding Insurance
Wedding insurance is not personal insurance, so your homeowners insurance is not intended to cover a wedding. However, many homeowners insurance companies may be able to offer you riders or event liability policies to help you get the right insurance coverage for your event.
Homeowners insurance covers your personal liability and personal property. Find out from your insurer what happens if gifts get stolen or if your grandmother’s necklace disappears off your neck during the wedding. These items may be covered but are possibly subject to the deductible on your policy. Some credit cards may cover certain losses, as well.
Find The Right Insurance Company
Once youve decided on how much coverage to get, its time to pick an insurer. There are plenty of wedding insurance companies out there, so how do you choose the best one? Like with your policy, the right insurer for your situation will depend on several factors, like the size of your wedding, the venue location, and existing coverage limits.
You should research wedding insurance with your existing insurance provider and also inquire from large nationwide companies that might have more competitive rates, Dulles says.
Below are wedding insurance companies that were highly rated by Reviews.com as of August 2020. These four providers came out on top in terms of coverage options, features, and flexibility:
Recommended Reading: Mills Fleet Farm Bridal Registry
What Is Event Insurance For Weddings
Essentially, our event insurance for weddings covers you if damage has been inflicted upon the venue or any of your guests during your wedding day celebration. In addition to these coverages, you can also add a coverage for host liquor liability insurance. This added alcohol insurance for weddings will cover you in case of an accident resulting from the serving and consumption of alcohol.
Edmonton Wedding Insurance :
Are you a Hudson’s Bay Rewards Card holder? If so, purchase wedding insurance on this site to earn 2,000 Hudson’s Bay Rewards points!
Protect your investment from disastrous circumstances that are beyond your control. Insure your wedding online with a credit card in minutes.
- Policies Starting at $105 .
- Up to $5,000,000 in General Liability Coverage to cover damage to the wedding venue and injury to third parties.
- Unlimited Additional Insured certificates for your wedding venue and vendors at no additional cost.
Insuring your Wedding with Front Row will be an easy and simple process that will leave you feeling confident that your wedding is protected!
Recommended Reading: How To Address Wedding Invitations To Families
What Does Wedding Insurance Typically Exclude
Watch out, though: the following are often NOT covered by standard wedding insurance policies:
- If you decide you no longer want to get married. In typically dry small-print language, it’s called a ‘disinclination to get married’ in the T& Cs of your policy.
- Cancellation if only a small part of the day goes wrong. Say only the wedding cake is damaged. You’ll get your money back for the cost of the cake but you won’t be covered for anything else, ie, you cancel the wedding as a result.
- Cancellation or changes due to Covid-19. New policies will almost certainly exclude any claim as a result of the coronavirus, or any, pandemic, eg, having to cancel due to government restrictions, or having to limit the number of guests that can attend.
- Cancellation due to financial difficulty, other than redundancy. If you can no longer afford to pay for the wedding and need to cancel, you’re usually only covered if it’s due to redundancy. Though there may still be restrictions, such as needing the policy to be in place more than eight weeks before you lost your job.
Other Ways You’re Covered
Depending on how much you are spending you might not feel your wedding justifies added insurance protection. Even if you decide to go without, there are a few ways to get some help if something goes wrong.
- Your home insurance policy might have some provision for weddings, or a policy to allow you to extend your cover for weddings. If so, check what is covered and see if it is cheaper than standalone wedding insurance policies.
- If you have paid with a credit card for anything costing between 100 and 30,000, if anything goes wrong you may be able to claim your money back from your credit card provider, using the selected section of the Consumer Credit Act. This can apply even if it was just the deposit that put on your card. Once again it’s best to check with your credit card provider.
- If there is a problem with goods or services that constitute a breach of contract, for example your wedding venue double-booking or your catering not arriving, you could try using the chargeback facility if you paid by Visa or Mastercard for goods worth under 100, although your provider is not legally obliged to chase money from the retailer on your behalf.
- Read the Consumer Credit Act here.
You May Like: Addressing Wedding Invitations To A Family With No Inner Envelope
How We Chose The Best Wedding Insurance
To choose the best wedding insurance providers for 2020, we spent over 200 hours looking into the most popular companies, analyzing their data, and comparing the four main factors in which policies must excel to be considered among the best. Those key factors are cost, flexibility, online features, and ease of claim.
Who In Massachusetts Should Consider Purchasing Wedding Liability Insurance
Anyone who could be construed as hosting a wedding might want wedding liability insurance, for people sometimes sue anyone they can if theres a major incident. Some examples of people who might be construed as hosts and therefore want insurance include:
- Couples who are getting married
- Parents of the bride or groom
- Property owners of the ceremony or reception area
Parents may want coverage if theyre paying for part of the wedding and/or if theyre listed on the wedding invitations.
Importantly, hosts dont necessary have to live in Massachusetts in order to purchase wedding liability insurance in the state. As long as a wedding is taking place in the state, this is likely where insurance should be purchased if its to be procured. Any policy thats bought in another state might not cover an out-of-state wedding thats hosted in Massachusetts.
Don’t Miss: Mills Fleet Farm Wedding Registry
Travel Insurance For A Destination Wedding
With the uncertainty Covid-19 has created, couples are cautious. If youre planning a destination wedding, consider travel insurance for problems such as emergency medical expenses outside the U.S.
The medical benefits provided by a comprehensive travel insurance plan are especially important when taking an international trip, says Christine Buggy, a spokesperson with Travelex Insurance Services. Most U.S. health insurance plans dont provide coverage outside the country. If you get sick overseas or have to go to the hospital for an injury, you could get stuck with huge medical bills unless you have travel medical insurance.
It is important to choose a travel insurance provider who treats COVID-19 as any other illness, says Buggy.
When selecting travel insurance for a destination wedding, Buggy notes that many travel insurance plans feature family-friendly pricing, which means children traveling with a covered adult can be included in the pricing for the policy.
While travel insurance wont cover the event itself, it can cover deposits lost for pre-paid experiences and excursions at the destination if your trip is canceled or delayedsuch as a snorkeling trip or swimming with dolphins.
Note that travel insurance coverage for trip cancellation and delay only applies to reasons listed in the policy. Make sure you know the acceptable reasons and also the exclusions.
How Much Wedding Insurance Costs
What youll pay for wedding insurance is influenced by several factors, including the number of guests in attendance. General liability insurance providing up to $1 million in coverage will cost about $185, according to The Knot. A basic policy covering losses such as photos and videos, gifts, special attire, rings, and various deposits typically runs from $155 to $550.
However, the final cost of your wedding insurance policy could end up being much lower or higher, depending on your situation and the amount of coverage you buy. Of course, adding cancellation coverage will bring the cost up.
Don’t Miss: A Practical Wedding Spreadsheets